Friday, March 2, 2007

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!


Today is the official day for Read Across America, but my school celebrated it yesterday in grand style.

After spying the new Melinda Long & David Shannon book, Pirates Don't Change Diapers, I was inspired to dress like this book character yesterday...
yes, although I look a little like Johnny Depp, I am really Braid Beard from the books How I became a Pirate and it's sequel I mentioned above.
I had some other teachers also dress up for my 2nd annual Dress Like a book Character day. I had Professor Trelauny from Harry Potter, I had the queen of hearts from Alice in Wonderland and I had a group of 1st & 2nd grade teachers dress as different colored crayons to represent the book My Many Colored Days by Dr. Seuss.
I had a sheriff deputy (in full uniform), a local tv reporter, the assistant principal, the cafeteria manager, the priest from the church and the church youth leader all come in and read to different classes.
Many of the classes held D.E.A.R. day (drop everything and read) and the highlight of that was a picture I took of one of the kindergarten teachers lying on the floor with a group of first grade girls reading to her.
And after wearing facial hair for the 2nd time in two weeks, all I have to say is, I am glad I am not a man, that stuff just gets in the way when you are trying to read!


No comments: