Tricia over at Miss Rumphiuse Effect has a meme about the Caldecott in honor of Randolph Caldecott's birthday yesterday.
In honor of Ralph Caldecott's birthday, I propose this new meme. Review the list of Caldecott winners from 1938 to the present and list your five favorite titles (based on illustrations, not the text), whether Medal winners or honorees. Then, name one book that didn't make this list that you feel was deserving of the nod.
so here are mine (in no particular order):
1. The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg 1986
2. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak 1964
3. Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McClosky 1942
4. Snowflake Bentley by Mary Azarian 1999
5. Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems (honor book) 2004
I can't think of any "books that should have won" off the top of my head right now, but I am sure as soon as I hit publish I will remember at least one!