Monday, February 19, 2007

What Kindergarten's Reading

Just Like Abraham Lincoln by Bernard Waber (1964)

This is an oldie (I couldn't even find a picture of it on the net) but I think a funny read for President's day.

A boy tells us about his neighbor, Mr. Potts, who looks just like Abraham Lincoln. He describes some of Mr. Potts traits and, coincidentally, he acts just like Abraham Lincoln too. The boy talks about how he is learning about the REAL Abraham Lincoln in class and gives a little historical information about ol' Abe. At the school's Lincoln Birthday celebration, there is a special visitor, none other than Mr. Potts. At the end of the book there is a little twist of fate, so to speak, when a new neighbor moves in and looks like... George Washington.

I am a big Bernard Waber fan, for me it started with Ira Sleeps Over, one of my favorite books as a kid.

I am actually looking for a stove pipe hat to wear this week while I read the story, I just wish these ideas came to be a few weeks in advance so I could order a hat, rather than trying to find one today at my local party store/costume store. I guess I could always make one!

No comments: