Monday, February 26, 2007

The Oscars

How many of you stayed up to watch the WHOLE Oscar telecast? - Not me, I made it to about 11pm, I think the last thing I remember seeing was Jerry Seinfeld. I love movies, but these days I don't get to watch too many, even when I rent them, there just never seems to be the time to watch them, especially if they are not kid friendly and I have to wait until the kids are in bed to watch them. But I do enjoy watching the stars all dressed up and I thought Ellen was funny as a host, but what is with the production numbers - do we really need to see Will Ferrell and Jack Black singing???? And while I appreciate the awards for the "behind the scenes" things like costume design and art direction (we have many friends from college, Emerson College in Boston, who are in the behind the scenes business) but, do we need to see these awards, do most of us care?? I guess that is why they don't televise the announcement of the Newbery awards, not enough people care, and I guess because at the awards announcement there is no red carpet, gee, maybe that is an idea for next years award breakfast!

If you are interested in film, a middle school here in Georgia is fostering the interest in movie making with its' students by sponsoring an annual film festival. These short documentary films are AMAZING, especially when you realize that these are made by 11-14 year olds. The school is Mabry Middle School and here is the link to watch some of the winners from last year. Also, if you ever have the chance to hear the schools Principal, Dr. Tim Tyson speak, take it, he is FABULOUS, he has the right idea about mixing technology and traditional education methods and he has some really inspiring stories from the land of middle school.

No comments: