Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Summer Vacation!

Although I do hate it when people tell me how nice it must be to be in teaching, the hours , the vacations, how EASY it must be just to read books all day (ha!) and while I usually have a snide comment to make to any of those things - summer vacation is a VERY nice perk of the job! I just hope that our school district doesn't see this article, about a think tank in the UK who are proposing only a 2 week summer vacation, although I would hate to see out summer vacation be only 2 weeks, they do have a point about kids losing skills over the summer. (thanks to Jen for the link)

Now, I am doing some work this summer, taking a few technology classes, catching up on reading so I can do some great book talks come fall, getting together some orders so when I find out how much budget I have this year I can either order them or start cutting things out and also working on a virtual field trip movie/webquest on the Revolutionary War, specifically the Boston/Massachusetts connection.

First up is a trip to the library with my kids to get them signed up for the summer reading program and to check out some books - getting my 12 year old to read this summer is going to be tough, it is tough enough during the school year, but I am hoping one of these days I will get him into a book that connects to him and makes him WANT to read!

1 comment:

teacherninja said...

Audio books. Graphic novels. Magazines about whatever he's into video games, sports, etc). Comics.