Monday, May 5, 2008

Coleen Salley

What an incredible woman - I had SO much fun on Friday, I don't know where to start!
For those of you not familiar with Coleen Salley, she is 78 years old, she lives in the French Quarter in New Orleans. She is a retired teacher/school librarian and college professor. She published her first book after she retired, when she was 72!  She is a story-teller extraordinaire. Not only were the students excited by her performances, the teachers were as well.

Then after her performances, there were the STORIES - the ones form her life and travels - she is s straight from the hip kind of gal - and I LOVED it - I can only hope I am like that when I am 78.  Anyone who rides in a shopping carriage in a Mardi Gras parade has chupah!

Here are a few pictures - the hats are right out of the Epossomundas books - Coleen's hat is the hat she travels with, our hats were made by one of our kindergarten teachers. She was truly an inspiration in so many ways, she is one of those people that I will never forget meeting, and I really hope that I have the chance to cross paths with her again (a few teachers are already talking ROAD TRIP to New Orleans!)


No comments: